Monday, January 21, 2008

New York!


DSC05276
Originally uploaded by -_-

Spring cleaning is over and I am back. Checked in last night and settled myself in to my home for now. It will be tough to leave. High-rise overlooking Times Square a safe several blocks away. It’s far enough to see the lights on the corner but not keep me awake. Hit the least crowded pub to grab a bite and watch NY beat Green Bay. I had left Seattle a Packer fan and quickly got swept in and by the 2nd quarter became a Giant supporter.

Woke up with an excitement I have not felt in a while. Up 2 hours early to make coffee and watch the morning new. Saw the sun rising above the Empire State Building out my window with a fresh cup of coffee in hand. Up and out the door dressed for the cold and began walking the north and east zigzag across city streets in the flow of the crosswalk signs guiding me in rhythm to the city. The city walks me past Birdland, an inspiration of my fascination of New York since my first read and desire to be Kerouac watching Charlie Parker ‘Blow man, blow!’. With the music player set to random shuffle the city turns me around the corner and provides the quintessential shot of Times Square. Jeff Buckley’s ‘Dream Brother’ builds to a crescendo. This is that picture in my mind, the one from the movie Vanilla Skies. The one that antagonist is running down an empty New York. The explanation of the collective conscious we are all tied to.

The city moves me to 5th as the song changes to a melodic xylophone chiming of The Shin’s ‘Red Rabbit’, an animal that has been inspirational as of late. I am surprise to note it’s the year of the Rat, not Rabbit. Another crescendo hits as I see my new office building and that overwhelming feeling of excitement and amazement that has driven my life thus far hits me…. It’s my new life in which my old life had been driving me to and I feel a sense of peace.
Good on you, New York, you wicked wonderful temptress. Keep your stories rolling as you show me those moments only a mind’s eye can capture as the shutter of a camera would only blink the tail end a that fleeting inspiration. Keep me inspired. Keep me guessing. Keep me here until you want me to leave. Just make it a good one.

No comments: